Forum

Boeuf Hog Hunt 2017 - discussion forum  

RSS

(@hcbstrings)
Active Member Admin
05/12/2016 5:20 pm  

Alright fellas, 

First off, this forum is new, I have only used it today(12/5).  So we will likely have to work some of the kinks out.  

thank you for joining us this year.  It has been a little frustrating not being able to post, but this will suffice!  I am excited about our hog hunt this year.  I know the pigs are still there, but with all the acorns and lack of water, they've not been in the areas they have been in the past.  Hopefully this year their wont be quite as much rain, so we will have a lot more area to hunt!  I have (constantly) been talking to Randy about last years hunt and I KNOW we didn't do nearly as well as we should have.  The pigs relocated due to all the water and we basically stayed in the same area that I typically always hunt.  We will not make that mistake again this year!!! 

Some things I saw left off of the tradgang post.  The total cost of hunting is $36/day for the cost of your license and that covers everything!  The only other thing you will need are clean drawers(not optional),  clothing(also not optional!), food and drinks.  Last year, we would typically eat some lunch on our own and then meet back up for supper.  If you don't mind working, I would almost guarantee you some hog sightings, but lets not get ahead of ourselves!  

ReplyQuote
(@darren-shue)
12/12/2016 12:13 am  

Probably won't make it since I'll be deer hunting at Tensas in a few weeks. Just started a new business and I can't justify taking off extra days for a while. If things look different closer to the hunt, I may beg for a mercy spot.

ReplyQuote
(@hcbstrings)
Active Member Admin
12/12/2016 2:19 pm  
Posted by: Darren Shue

Probably won't make it since I'll be deer hunting at Tensas in a few weeks. Just started a new business and I can't justify taking off extra days for a while. If things look different closer to the hunt, I may beg for a mercy spot.

Darren, 

what will you be doing in Tensas?  When will you be there?  Who are you going with?  

ReplyQuote
(@darren-shue)
12/12/2016 9:10 pm  

Was the winning bidder for a hosted hunt at Tensas in the St. Jude auction. Gregg Dudley and I teamed up on the bid. We are hunting with Jeremy LeMieux and a couple of his friends. They're renting cabins, providing all the food and all the intel from their scouting and hunting trips. I feel spoiled already! We are hunting 12/29-31. They want to put us on big bucks. I'm hoping for a close shot on anything brown.  

ReplyQuote
(@hcbstrings)
Active Member Admin
13/12/2016 2:42 pm  

T

here are some incredible deer there!  I mean, INCREDIBLE!  Has he sent you any pics or anything like that?  

Are you hunting the reserve or private land? 

ReplyQuote
(@darren-shue)
14/12/2016 2:49 pm  

I think he emailed a couple pics to Gregg and me after the auction. Pretty impressive if I remember correctly. I have no idea where we're hunting. He told us to show up with our bows ready to hunt and he'd take care of the rest. It'd be great to have a chance at a big 'ol boy, but I'll be happy with a fawn or two. I have no deer meat in the fridge and haven't killed a deer with any weapon in 4 years. 

ReplyQuote
 AKDD
(@akdd)
21/12/2016 11:23 am  

Daniel,

I am looking forward to getting down there again. I imagine that I will fix the drought conditions when I get there. Seems like every time I go hog hunting I get flooded out. So break out the rain gear here I come.

ReplyQuote
(@jbpharmd)
31/12/2016 2:45 pm  

Hey Daniel, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. I'll be heading up there Thursday after work and have to come back home Saturday, but whether I even see a hog or not is of little concern for me. I am just excited to share a fire with like minded individuals and walk in the woods enjoying the beauty of God's creation. Thank you for organizing this hunt!

ReplyQuote
(@hcbstrings)
Active Member Admin
10/01/2017 6:34 pm  
Posted by: AKDD

Daniel,

I am looking forward to getting down there again. I imagine that I will fix the drought conditions when I get there. Seems like every time I go hog hunting I get flooded out. So break out the rain gear here I come.

IF things stay the way they are predicted it will be nice!  a light drizzle would be ideal in my opinion.  It gets the hogs up moving and makes it much easier to stalk up on them!  The water levels will be almost non existent in comparrison to last year, which is a good things.  We will have 1000's and 1000's of acres to roam.  It is going to be good!  

ReplyQuote
(@darren-shue)
12/01/2017 8:18 pm  

Now the forecast looks a little wetter than a drizzle, and a bit warmer than I'd like to see it. I'll bring a couple extra coolers so WHEN we kill something we can get it boned out and on ice. Sure wasn't a concern last year. 

ReplyQuote
(@hcbstrings)
Active Member Admin
13/01/2017 3:25 pm  
Posted by: Darren Shue

Now the forecast looks a little wetter than a drizzle, and a bit warmer than I'd like to see it. I'll bring a couple extra coolers so WHEN we kill something we can get it boned out and on ice. Sure wasn't a concern last year. 

I see that, Darren.  As long as it doesnt just completely pound us, I believe we will be fine!  With Todd setting up his tarp area again, we should be find!  I have a big tarp I could bring as well!  We will make it work no matter what!  It is getting close to "that time".  It's going to be a blast!  

I had a buddy text me from down there who said, "Hey, I found the hogs".  So we atleast know where we can try to find some of them.  But I know there are TONS and Tons of them there.  We will just have to find them.  

ReplyQuote
(@darren-shue)
13/01/2017 10:05 pm  

I will also bring my pop-up shelter which will give us more cover. Is there a free bed in the bunkroom? If not, I'll need the pop-up as my tent. I'd just rather not set it up in the dark.

I'm ready to break my hog curse! 

ReplyQuote
Share: